Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions were last updated on 1st September 2010.
References to “we” are to Brightside and our contracted partner.
References to the ementoring coordinator refer to an authorized individual by Brightside and/or contracted partners who implements and maintains the ementoring programme and holds a Criminal Records Bureau enhanced certificate.
We welcome you to our ementoring network (“this website”). These terms and conditions apply whenever you access this website, on whatever device. By using this website, you are deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions. Any changes we make to these terms and conditions will be reflected on this page.
1. Becoming a user
In order to use the ementoring service, you must be registered. When you become a user, you are registering as a personal user of this website. Access to registration areas is via your email address (username) and password. We allow you access to your personal areas of this website on the basis that:
• You are responsible for ensuring that no unauthorised access or use of this website is obtained through your password and you will be liable for all damages that arise from the use or loss of any passwords. Passwords are non transferable.
• You will not do anything to assist anyone who is not a registered user to gain access to any registration area of this website.
• It is agreed and understood by you that communications between a mentor and a mentee shall only take place through this website, with the exception of agreed supervised face-to-face meetings which are organized by your ementoring coordinator. You are expected to respond to a message reasonably promptly and, in normal circumstances, a response should be sent within seven days of receiving a message. In the event you are likely to be unavailable for a lengthy period, you should inform your mentoring partner in advance.
• At the end of your use of this website, you agree to complete and return promptly any evaluation forms/questionnaires we may send you so that the scheme can be properly evaluated.
• If you submit information for display on this website then you are responsible for ensuring that it is true, accurate, complete and up-to-date and for updating it later whenever necessary.
• You accept responsibility for ensuring that no data is uploaded or submitted to this website which is defamatory, obscene, abusive, or otherwise objectionable or in breach of any applicable laws or third party rights. We reserve the right to remove offending material that we consider constitutes misuse of this website and/or that we consider is potentially harmful to other users.
• You have taken all reasonable steps to ensure that any data submitted to this website is free from viruses and anything else which may have a contaminating or destructive effect on any part of this website. We recommend that you run an anti-virus program on all material that you download from this website since, whilst we make every reasonable effort to check and test it, it cannot be guaranteed to be virus free.
• In order to maintain the highest levels of security and confidentiality for your communications on this website, you agree not to disclose log-in password details to anyone else. In taking part in the ementoring scheme, you agree that all communications and materials received from us or a relevant mentor or mentee will remain confidential and shall not be made available to anyone else unless the express prior written consent of the author has been obtained or the confidentiality statement applies. In addition, all parties agree to comply with all relevant laws and regulations relating to data protection.
• You agree to use this website only in accordance with these terms and conditions and for lawful purposes and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of or inhibits the use of this website by anyone else.
• You agree to be responsible for the consequences of your actions whilst using this website, including any claims, costs and/or expenses incurred by us arising out of or in connection with any misuse by you of this website or breach of these terms and conditions.
• You must not try to undermine the integrity of this website or any of its content and must not adapt or circumvent the systems in place in connection with this website nor access it other than through normal operations.
• You must comply with these terms and conditions. If, for any reason, we believe that you have not complied with these requirements, we may, at our discretion, cancel your access to this website immediately and without giving you any advance notice. Your email address and password would then become invalid on this website immediately.
2. Confidentiality statement
The mentoring relationship is confidential, but with one significant exception. Should the mentor consider that their matched mentee is at risk of being harmed or harming others, the mentor must pass this information to the ementoring scheme coordinator and Brightside to take appropriate action. Correspondence through this website is also monitored by the ementoring coordinator and Brightside.
3. Disclaimer of liability
Whilst we make reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of all information, we do not warrant that the information available on this website is accurate, reliable, complete or useful, or otherwise adopt or endorse any information or services, given that the information or services are, or may be, derived from a number of third party sources whose information is relied upon in good faith and cannot be independently verified. Similarly, we do not make any representations or warranties with regard to any information and/or advice supplied by mentors under the ementoring scheme. No responsibility is accepted by or on our behalf for any error, omission or misleading statement on this website.
The scheme is solely aimed at the educational and aspirational benefit of mentees and any views or comments of third parties posted on this website do not necessarily represent our opinion or position. We accept no responsibility or legal liability for any advice and/or information posted on this website by others nor with regard to any advice and/or information provided by mentors to mentees in relation to the ementoring scheme. So far as the law allows, we accept no responsibility for any injury, loss or damage which occurs as a result of an opinion expressed or information provided on this website and disclaim all warranties and representations (whether express or implied) as to the accuracy of any information contained on this website and any liability for loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system which may occur whilst using material derived from this website. We do not guarantee that this website shall be fault free or free from infection or viruses. Any liability that we may have for any losses or claims arising from an inability to access this website or from any use of this website or reliance on data transmitted using it is excluded to the fullest extent permissible by law. In no event shall we be liable for any loss of profit, data, revenues, goodwill, opportunity, business, anticipated savings or other indirect or consequential loss of any kind in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise arising out of use of this website, save where such liability cannot be excluded by law.
You can access other sites via links from this website. These websites are not under our control and we are not responsible in any way for any of their content. No mention of any third party, whether on this website or any other website to which it is linked, implies any approval or warranty as to their status or capability and we accept no liability for any goods or services that they provide. Whilst all advice and/or information is provided by us or mentors in good faith, mentees agree and acknowledge that, as a free resource, it is not reasonable for us or mentors to accept any responsibility or legal liability for any information or advice provided or arising out of or in connection with any specific actions taken by mentees as a result of this ementoring project. It is the sole responsibility of mentees to ensure that any information that they access from this website is accurate, complete and useful.
Mentees are reminded that, in taking part in the project, they expressly accept that it is solely their responsibility to obtain relevant professional advice before taking any specific actions in relation to careers and decisions. Any advice or information provided by a mentor is not intended to be relied upon as a substitute for such professional advice.
4. Mentor/mentee material on this website
We may cut, edit, crop or arrange your entries as we think fit to appear on this website and we may remove your entries at any time. Participating institutions have the main responsibility for monitoring the content uploaded by their own institution's mentors and mentees.
These terms and conditions may be varied from time to time. Please ensure that you review these terms and conditions regularly as you will be deemed to have accepted a variation if you continue to use this website after it has been posted.
We reserve the right to prohibit access by any person to all or part of this website at our sole discretion.
Each of these terms and conditions shall be construed separately of any other and the invalidity of one part shall not affect the validity of any other part.
English Law governs these terms and conditions and the English Courts have exclusive jurisdiction to determine any disputes.
6. Force majeure
Although we will do our best to provide constant, uninterrupted access to this website, we cannot guarantee this. We accept no responsibility or liability for any interruption or delay which can be attributed to causes outside our reasonable control.
Every reasonable effort has been made to make this website as accessible as possible. We follow Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) guidelines to make this website as accessible as possible. Most pages comply with these guidelines and where this is not the case, we have done all we reasonably can to make the content as accessible as possible.
8. Copyright notice
This website contains information and other material ("content") in relation to which the copyright and all other intellectual property rights are owned or licensed by us unless specifically credited otherwise. You agree not to copy, modify, transmit, distribute, publish, broadcast, or create any derivative work from such content. You further agree to indemnify, defend and hold us harmless against all losses, costs and damages arising out of or in connection with any misuse of the content. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form without our prior written consent. Accordingly, none of the content of this website may be copied or otherwise incorporated into or stored in any other website, electronic retrieval system, publication or other work in any form without our prior written consent. For the avoidance of doubt, framing of this website or any part of it is not permitted without our prior written consent.
In addition, the names, images and logos on this website are owned by us or licensed by us, unless specifically credited otherwise. Copying or use of logos is not permitted without our prior written approval.